Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Library Complications

Earlier in the semester, I went to get a library card at the central library here in Vladimir. I remembered that I had yet to actually go and get some books because I already have my collection of favorite Russian reference books with me. Since it was a rainy Sunday afternoon and I live on the same block where the library is located, I decided to see what it was like. Upon arriving to the library, I immediately proceded to the front desk and presented my library card. They in turn handed me back my library card as well as a slip that documents which rooms of the library I am in and for what time duration. Continuing on to the second floor, I enter the room of books for foreign language study. I begin to browse the selection, but I am stopped by the librarian who states that I must present my documents in order to be in the room. I do so and everything is in order. I proceed to the Russian as a foreign language section to look for books. As I browse, I am stopped by the librarian and informed that this area is off-limits and that I must proceed to the other part of the room. I do as I am told and then inquire as to how I am to find books. I ask if I may browse the electronic or card catalogs. The librarian tells me that they don't keep these books on record because they are so seldom used. The other librarian then proceeds to take me back to the off-limits section where I was just minutes earlier and let me browse at my leisure. After finding three books that suit my fancy, I returned to the front desk. I was informed that I would have to pay 200 rubles as a deposit for the books. Furthermore, I would need to fill out a series of forms with my contact information: name, birth year, address, phone number; all information that I had previously given them when applying for my library card. After a series of signatures for each of the books, the deposit given and the transaction in general, I was allowed to proceed out of this room. Arriving on the first floor, I presented my documents and was given clearance to leave the building.

While the Russian system may seem complicated, I give it credit. I favor it to the Spanish library system at the Universidad de Sevilla. There I was not allow to browse the books and simply restricted to an archaic card catalog system and a seemingly nonsensical electronic search database. Even, after all of the paperwork, this Vladimir libarary functions effectively and the librarians there are generally very friendly.

2 comments:

Savin (Nay) Wangtal said...

Talk about messy procedure. That makes getting a US VISA sounds like a walk on the beach..sort of.
So just how much is 200 roubles?

And this is a University's library? That's a bit harsh. How big is the library? Is it in one of those really cool, ancient looking buildings? Every time I think of a library now, the picture of Harry Potter-esque library popped into my head for some reason.

LukeR said...

200 rubles is equal to about 7 US dollars.

This is the central city library of Vladimir. It is a standard library, but you definitely wouldn't call it state of the art. The best libraries are in Moscow.

You can check out photos of Vladimir here:
http://flickr.com/photos/metallicorb/sets/72157612265885683/
http://www.vladimir-russia.info
http://www.acrussiaabroad.org/pg4.php