Thursday, October 16, 2008

Burger Time

Continuing in my theme of firsts from my previous blog post, upon my return from Волгоград, I was really craving a hamburger. While I really try not to indulge myself with foods from home while abroad, it was late, my hostmom was asleep and I knew that there was a 24-hour burger joint around the corner. I layered myself up with coats and headed out into the cold. Seeing the menu at Мистер Гамбургер, I was delighted to see familiar names, although they were written in Cyrillic. I decided to go for the чизбургер (cheeseburger) and a coke. In typical fast food fashion, the fine people at Mister Gamburger give me my tray and I'm off. Sitting down at a nearby available table, I hastily unwrap the burger. While the bun looks a little strange, that doesn't stop me from biting right in. What do I think after my first bite?: This tastes nothing like a hamburger! There is something known as бутерброд in Russian, which is roughly equivalent to an open-faced sandwich. This чизбургер tasted nothing like a grilled burger loaded with deliciously unhealthy American cheddar cheese, but more like a toasted bun with provolone cheese and a slice of deli meat. While the latter description may sound appetizing for some, the taste left something to be desired. There is another burger chain in town, MacKing. While I am really craving a good burger right now, I don't know if I want to risk my life on some unholy pseudo-fusion of McDonalds and Burger King at МакКинг. I guess I'll just have to wait another two months before I have my big, fat, juicy cheeseburger... maybe even with bacon and avocado!

3 comments:

Savin (Nay) Wangtal said...

My dear Mr. Rankin,
why not simply make yourself a fine burger, just like Mr. Eamon Anderson did a few months back? Oh, how juicy that was. It was so tasty, and sweet..almost like revenge.

Glad to hear you're having a good mix of fun and pain over there. So the reason you just posted 5 consecutive blogs after disappearing for like, 2000 years was because you were off on a trip, ha? I hope you had lotsa fun.

ps. I can't read half of your blog!!

Anonymous said...

Haha. I feel exactly the same when I go to shitty restaurants. There are plenty of those in NYC and NJ state.

I am so into burgers, fries, pizzas, and coke these days. I am having them every single day.

Did you end up finding any good American places to eat, like the breakfast place in Grinnell? (The place we went the other day, but I forgot its name. Maybe AM or somehting...)

Miss Vera said...

McDonald's is pretty nice when you have nothing to choose from...

I guess, we just eat healthier food that's why you don't find these burgers here... But oh yeah, they ARE tasty!!! I remember those Monday lunches when I was busy to eat something more, and there were just too many people in the dining hall, I would grab that hot, cheesy, greasy burger, pour barbecue sauce on top, and eat it.... MMMMMM... Could you mail a burger from the US when you are there? :))))