Saturday, January 31, 2009

I Wish You A Merry Christmas

I Wish You A Merry Christmas (С новым годом!)
I have a friend in Russia who just loves to sing (quite well I might add). They previously asked me to help them find the lyrics to some popular American Christmas songs. I found the most perfect gift to bring them from America. I decided on a book of traditional American carols (it even came with a CD with the music to all of the songs!) After giving it to them, they excitedly opened it up and were curious as to how the tune went for each carol. Of course they could just go home and listen to the disc that came with the book, but it is not the same and they would have to wait to listen. In America, I might be more reluctant than to open up right there and begin to sing on the street, but in Russia, I could care less. People seem to be less judgmental here. My friend was so pleased with the gift and enjoyed listening to me sing the various carols. I had fun seeing that they were so pleased with the gift and sharing a part of my American culture. Being here is not only about me learning about Russia, but about Russians learning about America. It is a bilateral cultural exchange.

2 comments:

Savin (Nay) Wangtal said...

Heh..you should record your singing and send some over to me too.
I've been doing a fair bit of public singing too. I have another concert tomorrow with the church choir for valentines. We're singing pop songs from the 80's. That ought to be interesting.
Bleh.. hopefully I'll make as good an ambassador for Thailand as you are for America when I go to Australia. But then again, Sydney is already shock full of Thais, one more couldn't make any difference.
Damn..I just can't shake this nervous feeling. I could never feel right about leaving a place..especially leaving home.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your site and this post. You make some very informative points.Keep up the great work!

News from Russia